Bridge Ward Club
President Alderman Sir Alan Yarrow
© The Bridge Ward Club 2017 Privacy
The Club was founded in January 1930 by 31 initial members who all had addresses in the Ward. The object of the Club was to provide electors and those who work and have an interest in the Ward with an opportunity to promote social activities and discussion of topics of local and general interest and also to exchange Ward and parochial information.
The first President was Alderman Charles H Collett and the Vice President was Sir John Knill Bt, who was Alderman of the Ward of Bridge Without. The Club's third president, Sir George J Cullum-
When the Club was originally formed the members and their guests dined annually but this was later increased to two dinners and two luncheons each year, usually held at. the Fishmongers' or Haberdashers' Halls when the Lord Mayor was invited.
In 1931 the Club's inaugural dinner was held at the Fishmongers' Hall and was attended by 122 Members and their guests. The 50th Anniversary Dinner was held in the same hall in February 1981 and was attended by 176 diners. Since then the Bridge Ward Club's membership has steadily grown to around 200 members.
The Club now has a varied social programme and meets at least 10 times a year for events ranging from the carol service at the Ward Church (St Magnus the Martyr) to talks of City interest or visits to interesting places like The Eden Project, a weekend in Bruges, the Poppy factory, and concerts and opera at the Barbican. At such events members gather afterwards for refreshment and socialising.
In 1986 the then president, Alderman Sir David Rowe-
A highlight for the Club was celebrating our 75th anniversary in 2005 in the presence of the Lord Mayor and the Lady Mayoress at our annual Civic Luncheon held in the magnificent Fishmongers’ Hall.
On 23 April 2015 we held a St George’s Day Banquet in a packed Mansion House to celebrate the Mayoralty of our Alderman, Alan Yarrow.
Membership enquiries are welcome – contact firstname.lastname@example.org.